Wednesday 27 January 2010

The Search for a Helpful Elaphant

This summer there will be an elephant parade in London!

There will be around 250 life-sized baby elephants made out of fiberglass scattered across London. The little elephants will be decorated by famous artist or celebrities all to aide elephant conservation.

more information can be found here:


and here:


So by some amazing strike of luck my year has been appointed an elephant. And not just any elephant, no! This one will be situated outside The Saatchi Gallery. So here I am, wondering what I could do with this baby elephant. So far, my idea has been to form a collaboration with a zoo and have their elephants paint the fake baby elephant. Elephant Art has been around for awhile and have been sold to fund elephant conservation, so I think it would be perfect to have elephants paint their way to their own security.
Here is the site for the elephant art:


Of course to do this I will have to call up all the zoos across England that have elephants and ask them if they are interested in helping out. "Hi there! I'm an art student. Can I borrow your elephants?" I'm sure it will go great!

So now I'm on the hunt for new ideas in case the zoos shoot me down. Right now my brain is whirling around ideas of a performance piece. Picture 3 girls with elephant trunks taped onto their faces and you might get the idea.^^

No comments:

Post a Comment